Thursday 2 October 2014

Insights of a Baby Listener

Thanks to Laura who has sent in her reflections on day 1 of a 2 day listening skills course with Baobab Centre. If you are interested in attending a Listening Skills course, or booking one for your organisation, do contact Baobab Centre.

Insights of a Baby Listener (Stop, Look & Listen)

Am I sitting comfortably? Relaxed? They I may begin…

Their eyes start by looking everywhere and then end up on my chin!
No matter where they’re looking, I maintain a steady gaze,
And my energy is focused on what they have to say.
With Open Body Language and a deep stillness within,
Some Minimal & Positive Encouragement – “Oh yes” “Uh huh” and “Hmm”
The story is unfolding but the speaker needs to breathe,
So I interject a Reflection – to establish Clarity.

Onwards, and happily inwards, go the story-tellers words,
And I remember every tiny piece like crumbs are to winter birds,
A subtle shift and a comment hangs suspended in the air,
I proffer gentle Repetition, delivered on a smile, with care.
The speaker repeats the repetition - a change in focus then appears,
The sub-plot bleeds into the forefront as mutual understanding cheers 
Now it’s time for Paraphrasing and so tentatively I say…
“So, am I right in thinking...” to check I understand okay

We share some healthy laughter; the story continues to evolve,
But I notice an incongruity that my speaker needs to solve,
So I Summarise and the sub-plot goes from Understudy to the Lead,
With a couple of Open Questions moving Speaker to concede -
That the issues that had prompted conversation to start with me -
Are actually less important and that talking has helped them see,
That what they thought was bothering them isn’t bothering them at all,
BUT an underlying problem is now pinned against the wall!

Next in sequence, The Big Challenge! And yet…I know another way,
So I sit - and I say nothing, letting Silence have its day.
At first it isn’t comfy, in fact it’s bloody hard to do,
But at last my lovely speaker begins again…Whew!
We celebrate Revelation and they pick up the task in hand,
With a renewed sense of purpose, and a smile, they stand.
We hug and go our separate ways - but the story is safe with me,
For the mantle of The Listener is confidentiality.

Laura-Jayne
7th March, 2013

 Reflective Poem prompted by Day 1 of Listening Skills Training [BAOBAB]

No comments:

Post a Comment